Sunday, August 30, 2015

Blair Wright's August Blog Post 1: Never Enough Time, But Maybe There Should Be...

In section 1 of Debbie Miller’s Is there Enough Time?, she really laid out how most teachers these days feel. We have reading, writing, math, science, social studies, spelling, handwriting, lunch, recess, restroom breaks, movement breaks…you name it, and we have to squeeze it into our day and even into our year. We are given not only standards to get taught, but also added obstacles along the way that need to be implemented or need our attention.   How will we squeeze another 30 minutes of independent time into our schedules? The answer is by making the time. 


Many teachers do the same thing in their classroom each and every year, such as the case of the Baltimore teachers dressing Paddy for the weather every day. We find a routine; we feel it is comfortable; it works, so we keep doing it each day and each year.  There isn’t anything wrong with a routine, or even dressing Paddy to teach weather, but is it the best use of time?  Could this time be used in other ways, such a reading? Miller made this exact point as she observed teachers in their classrooms.  In the article, she was making the point of what is really important in our day, which should be reading. Reading should be a hands-on, interactive process with students where we sit down with them and ask questions, find out what they are reading, and help them find themselves as readers. If you think of it that way, maybe 30 minutes isn’t too much time to help students become better readers.  

6 comments:

  1. Really liked the way you said, "How will we squeeze another 30 minutes...? The answer is by making time." It's always easy for me to get behind schedule and just think, well I can take some of their silent reading time to finish this or that but those 30 minutes are so important. And generally, the students love the time too. I've learned so much about my first graders already as I've made the time to build our reading stamina at the beginning of this school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we get comfortable with routines. It is difficult for me to get out of a routine in my classroom that has worked well for my class. As a kindergarten teacher, reading silently is a scary thought! I feel like I need to know if they are really trying to read, or are just faking it! 😀However, I am willing to dig deeper into independent reading. I think reading conferences will ease my fear of not knowing if the students are truly trying to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate that you recognized that there very often isn't anything WRONG with the way we spend time in our classrooms (Paddy . . . extensive calendar time), and pointed out that we just need to evaluate whether or not it is the BEST way to spend time in our classrooms. It really is a constant struggle . . . but one worth fighting! If students learn to read and comprehend, they can learn just about anything they put their minds to. . . . including what day of the week it is and what they should wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your response. Being the math teacher, I know that you feel the same time constraints as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Blair! How do we squeeze in another 30 minutes into our already busy schedules? I know I need to let go of some things that I do everyday only because it is routine. It's ok for routine, but is my time being used wisely?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 30 minutes is a worthy investment--it takes bravery to look critically at how we've been using times and make changes!

    ReplyDelete