Monday, August 31, 2015

Elizabeth Graham's August Blog Post 1: Section One: Not This

In Section One of her book, No More Independent Reading Without Support, Debbie Miller holds up for examination many time-honored classroom traditions that while, enjoyable and instructive, tend to take up valuable time that could be spent on independent reading. As a former preschool teacher, I devoted time each day to the calendar, the weather and other routines. While these are important things for young children to learn, at some point they should be left behind. I especially chuckled at the image of Miller witnessing Paddy the Bear being dressed for the day's weather in Kindergarten, then in First grade, and so on. Quit guarding that bench, and give Paddy (and any other time wasting sacred cows) a rest!

Miller points out time wasters not to ridicule teachers or schools, but rather to help educators make time for what is really important: independent reading. As a lifelong reader, mother and school librarian, I tell students and their parents that the students that read the most will do the best in school.  And the best way to become a better reader is by reading more. No gimmicks, no tricks: just read.  Miller states, "When children read extensively, they learn about themselves, other people, and the world; they learn that reading is something they can do that empower them to control their lives, connect with each other, and make the world a better place." What better goal can we have for our students? Not just learn to read and read to learn, but read to live.

Side note: One of my reading heroes, Donalyn Miller, gives Debbie Miller the thumbs up on her blog, listing No More Independent Reading Without Support as a text that has "shaped my understanding of independent reading and informed my teaching."

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Elizabeth! I laughed OUT LOUD when I read the part about Paddy the Bear. My sister is a Kindergarten teacher, and she has a strong dislike for Paddy. :) You're so right, though! I do a "What Good Readers Do" mini-lesson with Michael Jordan's Salt in His Shoes. On the anchor chart, I just write the word READ over and over as we read the book. Sometimes, as teachers, we try to complicate the very simple idea that reading makes good readers. I have definitely been guilty of that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement "that the students who read the most do the best in school" so much Elizabeth. As a parent of 2 highly successful readers and of course as a teacher, I constantly get asked how do you get kids to read. I think early exposure is so important. I remember reading to my two even as infants and felt silly for doing so. I was really amazed when I used to teach 5K and 1st grade reading with the number of kids who didn't read at home with their parents. It just seemed so simple to me. Which is why as you and Miller stated we need to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes--read to learn, but read to LIVE! Love the Donalyn Miller shoutout too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just marinating on the point of reading to live!! Wow, now if I can just apply that to eating to live rather than for enjoyment I could have something serious going on!
    All jokes aside, it really is essential for the 21st century child to be able to read to live! Their lives depend on reading in everything they do or will do in life.
    Its hard to believe that just a few generations ago there were folks who lived their entire lives not knowing how to read. Moreover, they were able to work in agriculture, as a homemaker or in some limited skilled job. Nevertheless, for today's youth, these types of jobs will not suffice, if they exist at all.
    This is why I am realizing why there is so much focused on reading, it is essential for life!

    ReplyDelete