Thursday, September 3, 2015

Kelly Anderson's August Blog Post 1: Bench Guarding at its best

Honesty is the best policy...right? So I was sitting in bed the other night reading Section 1 of Miller's book and about the time I got to the analogy of the "wet paint guard" I was starting to doze. I knew I had to get this reading done so I continued reading through lazy eye lids. I got to "Calendar Activities" and I perked right up. Are you kidding me? My calendar time is precious, I love the morning announcements, transitions...who doesn't love a good poem/song to get students' attention, and lining up takes lots of practice! 

I started building imaginary walls around my classroom practices and started highlighting things I disagreed with in the chapter. I even interrupted Jacob's reading to share my distaste with him. The next day I talked to a few people about my precious calendar and began justifying how I use that chunk of time justly. It wasn't until after I re-read the chapter (after our meeting Tuesday) that I realized they weren't saying the practices I enjoy and love doing are wrong but that using them as an excuse to not give my students time to read was the issue. I began thinking about how I could pull away some of the time that I use for my precious calendar (which is very different from that in the book by the way), transitions, and "Extreme Line Up: School Edition". I found several times that I could use in a better way to make sure I am using every minute in a way that will benefit my students. 

We all have goals, mine after this chapter is, through all of the hubbub is that I will set my sights on using my time more wisely. The feeling that set the foundation for the invisible walls I put around some of my daily routines began when Miller started probing in a "dentist" like way at a sensitive spot in my instruction. I realize that in a defensive way I wanted to protect and justify the amount of time set aside for the things mentioned, that in a way are beneficial and do have purpose, but I am conscious enough of the  long career ahead of me and it is best to correct some of those areas now in order to best serve my students. 

3 comments:

  1. Time is so precious, Kelly . . . in every area of life. When I had a classroom, I was constantly evaluating the different ways we could be wasting time. Could we just SKIP recording ALL that useless information on the Reading Log? Did my classroom management support quick transitions? Am I teaching something they already know? I don't know! It was a constant battle. I commend your willingness to fight the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I find it invigorating that you have decided to look for ways to find the time and question some of your "sensitive instructional strategies." I think it says a lot about the kind of teacher you are to be able to look at these areas and be willing to better serve your students. Definitely, not an easy thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honesty IS great, and you ARE allowed to disagree with what you're reading! I love that you took a second trip through this chapter and got a different meaning from your first read-through. Thanks for thinking critically about your practice!

    ReplyDelete