Sunday, September 6, 2015

Ain't Nobody Got Time For That.... Blog#1/Crump

     Not enough time?  That's the story of my life.  Time is a factor in everything we do--especially this job.  Each year, we are given a set of standards, a new group of kids, and a pat on the back and then---WE ARE OFF to the races.  I agree with everything that Debbie Miller said.  Reading IS important.  Reading SHOULD be our top priority.  I do not think you would find one person to argue with that point.  I think the problem today comes from several directions.  One, we feel the need to push through curriculum for test scores.  Yes--if they can't read, they aren't going to do well on the test.  But also, if they don't know the role George Washington played in the Revolutionary War...they aren't going to do well either.  My coworkers use every minute of every day to cover those standards tested by the state each year.  Another element added to that task are the things that subtract time from our classroom instruction---band/strings, field trips, program practices, performances, and other outside interruptions.  All of these are added stresses to doing our job.  Now, before you think I'm Debbie Downer--I'm not.  These programs benefit our students in lots of ways.  I know that.  I'm just saying that in the real day to day things of teaching, the time we have is PRECIOUS.
     I loved Miller's quote, "We don't really know our children as readers."  That is me.  Even when I was the reading teacher, I felt that I only scraped the surface.  I felt ineffective when it came to helping someone become a better reader.  I know how to go through all the motions.....I've read several professional books...yet, I still doubt my effectiveness in understanding why  readers are struggling and how to help them.  I am hoping this class will help me in that area.
     We all know that reading is the most important skill for a successful student.  It translates into all subject areas.  Our math standardized test could easily look like a reading test.  Reading is the key to success.  I feel that as a collective whole, WE have to figure out a way to make our daily schedule, the demand for test scores, and the need to teach our students to be readers a UNITED goal for education.

4 comments:

  1. Time is definitely a paradox - it goes by slow . . . it goes by fast . . . too much time . . . not enough time. No wonder we struggle with it. LOL You are so right! We have got to be united in our effort to know our students as readers and encourage them to find genres that interest them so that they will become better readers . . . thus growing their knowledge bank and becoming better test takers! As a Math teacher, I know it is hard to find ways to incorporate that into your curriculum. Thanks for being open to learning and growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel you with the point that time will always be a factor. We have so many expectations set on us as teachers, but we cannot fit them all in during time we are given. Something has to give...what do we focus on and what isn't as important? I guess the answer to that is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great thoughts!! Yes, time is a challenge, and we do need to solve it creatively--together. I also echo your sentiments about feeling unsure if we can make a difference in a reader's growth. I do hope you will find some new strategies to boost your confidence in this class because you are doing great work already!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly agree with your thoughts. I "almost" wish there was a rule to have students for a mandatory two years before they move to the next grade. My thoughts in this relate to your comment about not knowing our students as readers and as teachers not truly scraping the surface. Maybe by the end of the second year, we would have had more time to develop our students to be great readers who comprehend what they read and can make all the connections to the text. I know that is wishful thinking, however I am struggling to fit it all in.

    ReplyDelete