Sunday, September 6, 2015

Is There Enough Time? And Is Time Enough to Support Independent Reading?

Time for reading!  I am challenged each day as to how to allocate time to independent reading.  I have time for everything else, but when do I set aside time for reading?  I realize reading is important and essential for my students.  I often ask myself when I do allow time for independent reading-are my little kindergarten students REALLY reading?  How do I know? So, what do I do?  I don’t give time like I should to independent reading.  I need to advocate a carefully designed, structured reading program that includes demonstrating, teaching, guiding, monitoring, evaluating, and setting goals for my students.
Miller states that for students to do more than race through lots of books, they need a teacher to show them what behaviors they need to practice as they read.  This is the area I need to work on.  This is where I have a difficult time demonstrating behaviors they need to practice as they read.  By the time I do this- when do I have time for my students to practice? We often race through books!  Time has always been an issue and I need to let go of some of the everyday practices/routines of the day to provide more time.
I really like this statement mentioned by Miller. "When children read extensively, they learn about themselves, other people, and the world; they learn that reading is something they can do that empower them to control their lives, connect with each other, and make the world a better place." This speaks volume to me! Reading to LIVE… I have never looked at reading in that way! I will not only make TIME for reading, I will TAKE time for reading in the classroom. 



2 comments:

  1. Good word! I'm sure it IS a struggle in kindergarten - since most have not learned to read yet. You will learn so much about them from conferencing with them, and I bet by Christmas they will be reading more than just the pictures during independent reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time is hard, but we teachers are creative! It might help to consider IR as a structure more than a program. You can follow your kids to whatever instructional paths they lead you! :-)

    ReplyDelete