Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Blair Wright Blog #2 Share Your Reading Life

The first major point of Chapter 3 in Routman's book is that you should share what you are reading and what you want to read in the future with your students. As teachers, we are a huge influence on our students and it is important to model and show them how to be good readers. In order to do this, you need to examine yourself as a reader. Personally, I do not feel like I am the strongest of readers and I do not read much at home. However, I do think of myself as a "spurt reader".  When I do read I want to read the whole book or series as quickly as possible. Usually this happens in the summer when I have more time on my hands or when I hear of a great book from a friend. One thing I like to "spurt read" are the books my students are interested in such as Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Wonder, Weirder School, etc. When I hear them talking about it, it inspires me to check them out, then I get to talk to the students about the book.

The next major point I took from the chapter is to take ownership in what you are reading and what you want to read in the future. She talks about keeping track of the books as you read them and a list of ones you want to read. When keeping track of your reading, she suggests that you write down the books you are reading, and also write ones that you want to read. This really made me think of how long my list would be if I had documented the books I read in my life. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as long as most, but still would probably fill up at least a single subject notebook writing on the front and backs of pages. Again, the focus of the list wouldn't be on quantity, but the desire to always be reading. Modeling this practice would be a sure fire way to encourage reading and help build enthusiasm of reading in students.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you like to read the books your students are reading so that you can generate conversation about books. That is definitely a sign of a good teacher! It is so important for students to see that you read as well. Even if you don't see yourself as a reader, it is obvious that you DO read . . . probably more than you realize. Like you said, if you recorded what you read every day, you would probably be impressed with yourself. :) Students look up to teachers, and if we are talking about what we have read or are reading, it might just spark a desire in them to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blair, I have had more than one student tell me, "Ms. Wright loves this book and said I would like it". Your support of Andrew Clements has led many kids to check out his many titles. I feel that you are a great model of reading for students and probably more so as you admit that you don't feel like" the strongest of readers". I am thinking we need to make a WHES Goodreads group to recommend books to each other and help us all build our "next" book lists. What do you say Tech Trainer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we have talked about your reading identity before. Even though you are shy about yours, it is strong!! Your kids know it, too!

    ReplyDelete