Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Jennifer Novak September Blog 2

In Chapter 4 of Reading Essentials, the author explained the importance of teaching with a sense of urgency.  In stating this, the author expresses that the teacher needs to make every moment count.  I know that I try to teach at every moment that I can due to the amount of children in resource, speech, esol, and ot.  In having these pull-outs, it is vital to know each and every child’s academic needs to maximize the instruction time.
                The text also expressed the important of exposing the children to various genres.  Our Journey’s Textbook does a great job of exposing the children to fiction and non-fiction texts.  I take this opportunity to show my students other books from my classroom library to align with our genre that we are learning about each week. 

                It is also so very important to show the children the importance of reading because we read in every subject in school.  Often we complete addition and subtraction word problems in math, read instructions to science experiments, and read maps in social studies.  I explain that if we can’t read and know out letter sounds, we will not be able to complete the fun activities in our other subjects!  Readers are leaders!

2 comments:

  1. It really IS important to expose students to all different types of genres. I love the genre checklist we received from AMES earlier this year. It is a great way for students to check off that they have read different genres. I know I never would have read a biography if a teacher hadn't suggested it one time. Now I LOVE biographies. Another way to expose students to different genres is through a genre study. I would love to pull some resources for you if you decide this is something you might like to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Readers are leaders indeed! The textbook is one genre, and giving your readers access to many genres through your classroom library is important!

    ReplyDelete