Friday, April 15, 2016

Caroline Josey- Blog Post #6 Chapter 3 But That No More Independent Reading without Support

While reading this chapter I realized that I could cut so much out of my day to make more time for Reading. Not just IR but also guided reading during Daily 5. I love that the teachers used music during transitions and the kids adapted over time to automatically stop what they are doing and transfer. This gave them so much time during the day to devote to reading. In the morning I let my students have unstructured IR time. This gives them 45 minutes to read any book they want on any level (to an extent). What I have to done is give my students time for a "book club" or a time to talk with their peers about the book they are reading. I really like that they suggested that in the book. This is something my students would love and I also think it will push my students, who are ready, to begin reading chapter books. I think this is something I will let them do for about 10 to 15 minutes every Friday and maybe bring in a small snack for them to have during that time, so it's like a real "book club."

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun, Caroline! Sharing what we read is a great way to connect students to new books. I usually choose to read a book because someone has recommended it to me. I bet 2nd graders will do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that your kids have so much time to read each morning! Your Friday book club sounds like a fun idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete