Monday, April 11, 2016

Stacy Crump Ch. 12 Routman "You Only Have So Much Time"

     "You Only Have So Much Time"--the story of my life.  

     I enjoyed this chapter as it focused on our profession really as a whole.  Teachers work tirelessly at a job that is truly neverending.  I have told many new teachers--you just have to leave it.  I promise it will be there tomorrow when you return.

     Routman focuses on the adage of working smarter not harder.  Evaluate your classroom.  What is going on?  Who is doing all the work?  You or the students?  I really liked her advice.  Be selective in what you do in your classroom and manage it well.  As a teacher, we are often bombarded with resources and plans.  Routman encourages us to know what resources to use and which to ignore.  A teacher has to be aware of the needs in the classroom and what resources will meet them.  

     I liked what Routman said concerning seat work and I try to apply it to homework and morning work.  It needs to be independent and easy to manage.  I want my Daily SMARTS and homework to be things that my students can do confidently and ALONE.  That helps me as well as their parents.  Routman encourages us through the article to be in constant reflection of our classroom.  What is working?  What's not working?  What do my students need?  I think this is so true.  No year is the same and really no day is the same even with the same students.

     I liked her attention to the pace of our lessons.  We have the students' attention for a brief period.  Then, these kids need to move and discuss.  I really like partner work in my fifth grade classroom.  It helps academically and socially.  Being social is a huge part of a fifth graders day.  This gives a purpose for it.  I loved what she said about starting the day with a relaxing procedure instead of a worksheet.  We start with various things on the laptop.  The music is playing.  Getting to school can be hard work--it is in my house!  I feel like this gives us all a chance to breathe and regroup.

     Finally, Routman encourages us to grow professionally and individually.  Teaching can but should not consume your life.  You still have to live.  By bettering ourselves, we can help our students foster a love of learning.

2 comments:

  1. Great words, and such wisdom gleaned from Routman (and personal experience). Being able to weed through all the "stuff" (ours and our students) and choose wisely to make the most of our day is so important. Teaching takes a lot of thought and preparation. It is a calling. It can be very rewarding, but you're right. It is very easy to allow it to consume our lives if we are not careful. Balance is the key. I love your advice to new teachers . . . it most definitely WILL be there when you return. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! Yes, we do have to prioritize and work smarter, not harder. As teachers, our work is never done, and we have to get used to that--and be at peace with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete