Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Kelly Schachner: Blog #4 Routman Chpt.4 (Teaching with a Sense of Urgency)

Urgency=Planning Smart and Effectively

    Making our time count with our students is vital to their independent learning and application of the strategies taught. We must constantly reflect on our lessons and be sure that every student is engaged in their own learning. We need to plan appropriately, purposefully and specifically for each reader. However, the student also needs to do his/her part as well to help themselves grow into engaged and thoughtful readers. They must take ownership of being thinkers and problem solvers. Teachers can teach strategies, but students must apply what is being taught.
   This is the part where many readers struggle. Ideas and lessons must be reviewed constantly and referred to frequently in order for students to internalize how to use them and become successful readers.
   I am reading the Cafe Book by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. The way they present ideas and concepts (never letting them go) is a wonderful way to continue the reinforcement but also allow readers to "grow into" the new concepts. This is a smart way to plan and to teach. I am also reading and using The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers. This book has wonderful, effective lessons for students on every level and skill. It even includes pictures of posters that teachers can reproduce for their students to help them remember the strategies taught. I love both of these books and the ideas suggested to grow our readers, and reach them where they are so as to help them move forward in their endeavor to be better at reading.
    Mixing these two books together and pulling ideas from both has given me the courage to move away from large group lessons and move to small group instruction. In this way students are getting targeted strategies specific to their needs. I know what I am trying is not perfect. I am new at this and will probably not be as successful as I would like this first year, but I will not stop doing what is good for my readers. It is an urgent necessity that all students make meaning from what they read. So, I must do what is effective to make necessary progress.


3 comments:

  1. Yay! Yay! Yay! I am so excited that you are diving in and soaking up so much! I am reading Petty and Hattie's Evidence-Based Teaching. It basically shares the evidence based on research done in 3,200 classroom studies. Without going into a lot of detail, and without much surprise, they argue that "feedback focused on goals results in more growth." Well, duh! If we know what we are working towards, we are more likely to reach our goal. Teaching all kids the same thing at the same time will not benefit all kids all the time. By introducing strategies to students as they are ready and having opportunities to conference with them and guide them in reaching their goals, you will see great gains and excitement over reading. I'm so excited that I get to watch! :) Let me know how I can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes my heart so happy!! You are immersing yourself in quality literature that will help you grow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Kelly!! And, I am reading both those books as well! I think they are awesome and can really provide alot of helpful strategies! I think every teacher should be reading them...ha!!

    ReplyDelete