Monday, November 2, 2015

Lanetra Ebron- Miller Section 1

Is there enough time? After reading this section, I don't feel so bad about not doing a daily calendar time. I have to squeeze in three small groups before specials and before the speech therapist comes to pull my students. I don't have 20 minutes to spend on calendar. Furthermore, my little ones can't sit still, so I only have 50% of my students as a captive audience. I have consciously built in time for my students to read, especially since my reading curriculum involves NO reading. I have to work on conferring with students. Unfortunately, I am usually caught up in doing paperwork or recording data instead of spending 1:1 time with my students. I have taught them what Read to Self looks like, but now I need to take it a step further and do conferencing. Granted, none of them are actually reading yet, but I do want to check their ability to read the pictures and draw meaning from that. Reading is more than decoding words. For my students, language and comprehension are important foundational skills that I need to help them develop.

1 comment:

  1. It's so good that you have taught students what "Read to Self" looks like. Many times we just expect them to know how to sit still and read from left to right, etc. Communicating and modeling your expectations is an essential part of classroom management.

    I think you will really appreciate and enjoy all you learn about your students from conferencing. As a teacher, this one on one time with students was my favorite part of the day. The paperwork will wait. We need to seize the few moments we have to make a difference where it counts! :)

    ReplyDelete