Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Kelli Wolfe Blog #5 - Inviting Literacy Environments



Studies have shown (and teachers have known) for years that the more contact children have with books, the better readers they become.  Being in a title one school with so many students from low-income homes has helped me realize the importance of surrounding children with good literature.  So many of our students don’t have parents who read independently or who encourage their children to read.  As a result, taking time to visit the public library or purchase books with hard earned money is not something that is even considered in the homes of our students.  That is why it is imperative that we provide print rich classrooms.   And, I have to say . . . the teachers here at WHES take classroom libraries seriously and have very inviting reading centers.  In addition, I am thankful for a district that sees the importance of literacy and is willing to invest financially in providing books for their teachers.  

Much of what Routman says in Chapter 5 of Reading Essentials rings true with my spirit.  There are so many ways to increase the number of books we have on our shelves, and we must be proactive in using the resources that are available.   As a classroom teacher, I was so thankful for Donors Choose!  I was able to stock up my shelves with books that generous donors provided through financial contributions.  One year I noticed that many of my students LOVED a good mystery.  I had very little books in this genre to provide for them.  As a result, I applied for a Donor’s Choose grant and was awarded two boxes full of good mysteries.  My students were so excited.  When I read what Routman said on p. 65 about high school readers being asked to suggest what books should be added to the classroom library, it reminded me of my experience that year.  

In addition, I always love Routman’s “Try It” and “Apply It” ideas.  I wish that I had provided more time for “Book Talk” in my classroom.  I very often choose a book for myself based on someone else’s recommendation, and even today wrote down the name of an author a friend told me she enjoys. I should have given my students the same opportunity.  I believe it would have encouraged students to read genres or authors they may not have read before.  I will definitely encourage teachers to try out book talks in our classrooms here at WHES.  

Finally, I especially like the idea of creating a Top 10 Favorite Book list . . . and even creating a bulletin board that showcases the favorite books of a specific classroom.  What a great idea!  I can see how a bulletin board in the hallway would be great advertisement for some fabulous literature!  With the help of some WHES readers, I think I will give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. Kelli, I love your idea of asking students what books they would like added to school or classroom libraries. Adding books that students want to read will build interest and excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a super fun bulletin board--the Top 10 Favorite Book List! It would be meaningful and engaging. What a great way to build a culture of reading!

    ReplyDelete