Monday, November 2, 2015

It's about the compromise.  I teach four 4th graders in a small focus group.  When they came to me I had their IRI and their STAR reports.  They all came in with 3-4 big chapter books on 4th and 5th grade levels.  All of these students tested on a second grade reading level.  So what do you do?   What do you say?  So I set out to conference with each of them.  They each agreed that they liked the second grade level books and they were the just right books for them.  They began to read and were successful.  But each day here they came with the big pile of chapter books.  One day as I was conferencing with one of them and somehow got wind through one of the questions I was asking him  that he just wanted to carry around the chapter book and act like he was reading it so the other students would think he could read that book.  Soooooo I asked the others when I conference with them.  Same thing.  They like to carry them like badges proving that they could read that book.  But at the same time they all agreed that they loved feeling so successful reading "just right book" for them.   Here came the compromise.  We agreed that in our group we would read "just right books" and that Mrs. James would read Dork Diaries out loud to the group the last ten minutes of our time.  You have never seen such excited readers and listeners.  You can hear a pin drop when I read aloud each day.  We summarize with post-it notes and retell each day before we start.  We are all happy readers!

2 comments:

  1. What a great compromise JoAnn! Love the way you catered to their needs and made them feel successful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times, students who struggle act like they don't care. This is proof that they do. It's just an act! They really do want to be good readers! And, I really believe that those fourth graders are going to benefit greatly from the strategies you and Maggie are teaching them. I appreciate the compromise you made for them. If I were you, I would also encourage them to read one of those chapter books if they want to. This will give them the "choice" we have been preaching about. :) Good compromise! Can't wait to see how they grow!

    ReplyDelete