Thursday, November 5, 2015

Maggie Delaney December Blog 5

Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

I just loved this chapter!  Classroom libraries and I go hand in hand!  When I first started my teaching career, much of the focus was on independent reading, guided reading, etc...the balanced literary approach.  There was a HUGE focus on our classroom library.  I can remember going with my literacy coach to Barnes & Noble and purchasing thousands of dollars worth of books for my classroom.  I was hired as an additional 2nd grade teacher, so I was placed in a brand new room and the district had to purchase everything to furbish my class...including my classroom library!  Wow! How lucky I was!

I especially liked the "checklist" teachers can use to evaluate their own classroom library.  It is so important that the classroom library is an inviting space, has a variety of genres, is current, has selection and organizational input from the students, comfortable, and most importantly, a place that children love to go to seek and find wonderful reading material.

The section on book talks and making books "hot" in your room is so important.  We as teachers of reading want students to love reading.  What better way to accomplish that goal than to provide an atmosphere where books and reading are the "hot" focus!!

This whole chapter is wonderful for helping any teacher get started with their classroom library.  Sadly, I know that at our school there are some classrooms that have NO libraries, books are in closets, etc.  This makes me so sad for our students.  It is so important to instill this love of reading and in order to do so, we (WHES) have to provide the best resources, materials, classroom environments that we can.  Organizing and creating a classroom library really probably is one of my favorite things about being a teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. I hope you realize how fortunate you were to be given a whole new library as a brand new teacher. I wish all teachers could go through Barnes and Noble and fill up their classroom at no cost to them!!!

    When we go to a store, we head towards what is attractive . . . the best display area . . . the most inviting visually. I LOVE Fresh Market because when I walk in it is pleasing to all of my senses. There is beautiful music playing, something ALWAYS smells good, you see plants and flowers first thing . . . they have mastered drawing in the consumer. It should be the same way in our classroom. Our libraries and reading areas should be places that kids LOVE to be. Sounds crazy, but it's true! Organized and attractive spaces will draw students in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... your Barnes & Noble shopping spree sounds like a DREAM! You put a lot of effort into organizing the books with the kids last year, and I'm sure this year has been no different. :-)

    ReplyDelete