Monday, November 16, 2015

Kelly Schachner Blog#6 Jan.

Routman Chapter 6

    I am LOVING what I am currently doing to meet student needs in reading (and in math)! I allow 30-40 minutes of independent reading time/AR time every day, first thing in the morning. Then, I teach four reading groups on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I am using lessons that meet the needs of each group and I am meeting them on their level. We discuss a strategy, I model it, show them a visual to remember it, and then encourage them to use it. We also discuss previously learned strategies and talk about how they are helping. Students share how they have used the strategies.
   On days where I am not doing reading groups, I am conferencing with students independently. I either conference with them on their reading or their writing. We discuss what reading strategies they used when they read to me, what strategies they are NOT using that they could be using, and also what strategy they might try next. While conferencing on writing, I use the same approach. I use the prominent features analysis for each student and go from there to encourage them through their weakest skills in writing. Each child's conference is catered to them and where they are as learners.
   Student choice is vital to this learning, but occasionally they need to be guided to more appropriate text choices. Some want to read chapter books, but they are not quite ready for that yet. This is where I could add in Buddy Reading or Partner Reading. This would make a great addition to my reading block.
    I also want to become good at doing running records and miscue analysis. I think if I begin with my focus group (the lowest readers in my class) then I might be able to keep up with their reading since they don't read as fast as some of my other students. I am going to try this very soon! The information that I will gain from it will be too valuable to do without. Especially when I am able to determine exactly what types of errors are being made. It will be so much easier to individualize my conferences and hit specific points that each child needs to become a better reader.

2 comments:

  1. I love your attitude and excitement, Kelly! I want to be just like you when I grow up! You ARE doing great things in your classroom and are taking risks to meet the needs of all your students. I am so glad that you are seeing the advantages to meeting kids where their individual needs are. AND, it is more fun! Don't you think kids are enjoying the learning process more than they did before?

    As you practice with Miscue Analysis more and more, you will begin to see the advantages of this form of assessment, too. Please let me know how I can help you. I can assure you that it will feel awkward and unfamiliar at first, but the more you do, the more comfortable you will become and the less time it will take. Look forward to hearing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've developed a nice balance between reading groups and conferring! I think you will find doing miscues with your focus group to be a very rewarding experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete