Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Angela Jackson - Teach with a Sense of Urgency

The main points I took away from this piece are:

  • keep expectations high
  • demonstration
  • integration of language and writing in reading
If we don't hold our students to a higher standard when it comes to their learning, they won't expect very much out of themselves either.

I continue to push my students to do better than they did the day before and when they make progress, we celebrate their success. The first nine weeks of reading and writing was quite painful. The students were in complete shock and several parents did not understand why there was not a huge focus on AR. I explained that I needed time to teach them how to comprehend what they read, and how to make connections to their text. It was equally difficult for them extend their knowledge from the text to writing about what they read.

My teaching goals in reading for the second nine weeks will be adopted from the text Routman (2003) Chapter 4, p. 43. Top five things I do to ensure students become excellent readers. I believe this list will help me become more successful in my Kidwatching Focus Group as well as the whole class.





2 comments:

  1. Change is sometimes painful, and believe it or not, you will have complaints from parents every year, so don't let that worry you. What matters is that you are doing what you believe is right for your students. If you are, and you know why you are, then just explain to parents your reasoning. If you have made a professional, informed decision about what is best for their children, they will see that you know what you are doing. :)

    You have some great goals for the second 9 weeks! I appreciate that you are a goal setter and are constantly working towards improving your skills, Angela! Regardless of how long you teach, don't ever stop your pursuit of excellence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use that "top 5" list to help set your personal teaching goals for the next 9 weeks. That's definitely reflective teaching!

    ReplyDelete