Monday, November 9, 2015

December- "Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library"


Rhonda Dickerson

December- “Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library”

    I felt good after reading this chapter. My classroom library is inviting and diverse.  I have a good selection of fiction and non-fiction.  During independent reading time, the children are allowed to get comfortable and sit wherever they like.  There are crates, rugs, and a rocking chair in the classroom.  The children take turns sitting in the rocker.  Lamps are turned on and quiet music plays during reading time.  Most of the children look forward to independent reading time.

   I am fortunate to have a friend who works for a foundation that supports reading in schools.  The foundation supports AR and helps Harlem schools get started by supplying books, computers, and training.  The director sent me over 200 books last year for my classroom library.  Most were non-fiction and the children have loved them!  I already had a large selection of fiction books.  On holiday months, I add an appropriate basket of books and invite the children to enjoy those also. 

The students are expected to read within the suggested range from the STAR assessment.  I do not block them from other books unless their comprehension percentage is suffering.  I feel that there have to be some parameters at this young age as these students are learning to read.  They cannot just choose anything and be expected to understand what they read.  So I disagree somewhat with the section “Pay Attention to Students’ Interests and De-Emphasize Leveled Books”.  Between the WHES library and my classroom baskets, there are plenty of interesting books for children to choose from within their suggested ranges.  These books are not leveled readers from the textbook company, but rather real literature of a rich and varied assortment.  And again, I do not block them from reading those they are interested in, I just encourage reading within the range for comprehension purposes.  We have "freebie" days when they can read whatever they wish, whether higher or lower.  They are allowed to check at books from the library outside the range.  I am hopeful that these practices strengthen their comprehension and help them develop good, strong reading strategies.

2 comments:

  1. You DO have an inviting library and Reading Center. I love your room! I think it is fabulous that you have so many books and that you allow your students to get comfortable and enjoy their independent reading time.

    Just so you know, I would say you DON'T disagree with Routman's ideas about allowing choice. It sounds like you ARE giving some choice. I agree that there should be a balance - some of their reading is within their reading level (but they have a choice of what book to choose within their level) and you allow some reading outside of their level.

    I appreciate your love of reading and I know your students do to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reading environment definitely encourages a love of reading! And I agree with Kelli--I think you are more aligned with Routman than you might think. You are using a variety of measures to offer students choice. I didn't hear anywhere in this blog where you would tell a student "You can only read on a green dot. You are a green dot!" You are helping students find texts where they can be successful readers. I love your "free choice" day too!

    ReplyDelete