Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Christie Summers #4 Teach with a sense of urgency

  As I began this chapter, my immediate thought was, "I know just what the author is talking about!" I feel that sense of urgency each day in my kindergarten classroom. It is a sense of knowing where my students are, where they need to be, where I need to take them, and trying to find the time to get them all there. Honestly, like any teacher, I feel overwhelmed by this. But, yet, I think that sense of urgency keeps me on the track of motivation and willingness to teach my students in the best way that I can.
  I like the top five things that the author does to ensure students become an excellent reader. I think the most important one is to allow students to choose the books they want to read. If a teacher forces a child to read what she chooses, this is a recipe for disaster. If a child is not interested in the book, he or she will certainly put forth no effort into reading it. If this continues, that child is more than likely to dislike reading. As an avid reader myself, I know what I like to read. I could choose professional books for the reason of advancing in my field of education, i do choose these types of books on occasion. However, I love a good mystery! When I find a mystery, I am motivated to read and to keep reading.
  I also agree that demonstration is necessary as we help our children become readers. If I am modeling and demonstrating, how will my students know what to do? I think that some teachers may believe there is no time for modeling. I spend lots of time demonstrating in my classroom. It all goes back to the children first being taught through the teacher actually doing what they will do later. This allows more success in my students. If I practice what I preach, I am showing them that I am a learner too!
  There is something to be said about getting out of the leveled book thought of mind. I think that students can get stuck on the leveling process. Some may not be able to process that the goal is to move to another level. Some may develop low self concept as readers if they cannot move past the current level. I love the idea of book talks and top ten lists.These ideas are awesome ways to encourage and motivate our students to develop their reading skills.

1 comment:

  1. (Christie, I just discovered an author I have never read before . . . Lisa Jackson. Have you heard of her? She writes a really good mystery - kept me on the seat of my chair the whole time! Look her up!)

    I agree with your ideas that teacher modeling and student choice are key in growing students who love to read and feel success in the process. We really do have such little time with them that we need to make every moment count. Today I heard a teacher say, "Next week is a 2 day week - we won't get anything done!" Oh my goodness. A two day week is not an excuse to do nothing. We need to teach with a sense of urgency and give our students every opportunity to grow dendrites!

    ReplyDelete