Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Angela Jackson - Is there enough time for independent reading?



 This piece helped me to look closely at the types of benches/practices I might be guarding as it relates to finding time for independent reading. I am still struggling to figure out the time to have a sustained thirty minutes of independent reading every day. While, there are many areas I need to look closely at in order to "fit" the time in, this article helped me to see that every minute counts and to maximize on even the smallest amount of time as it relates to reading. I realized, as a new teacher that I was spending too much time on basal texts and a whole grammar lesson. I had no idea, I'm new!
I am working on preparing mini lessons and trying my best to start my groups or stations. I do believe there is time for independent reading, I just have to create it.

I truly believe that children learn how to read by simply reading, and of course not without instructional support. They have been reading for "fun" and not comprehending what they read. I don't want them to stop reading for fun, but they must be able to make connections in reading. In order to do this Miller states that they need to "practice...everyday." However, it is important to have structured reading time in order to monitor and discuss habits. If I do not conference with my students while they are reading, I will not be able to catch the "fake" readers who are wasting time.

Now, I better understand that proving sustained reading with focused instruction is the only way my students can grow as readers.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honesty, Angela, and your desire to do what is right for your students. I love when you said, "I do believe there is time for Independent Reading, I just have to create it." That's the point. The number of minutes is not going to change. We have to create the time for IR by prioritizing and planning strategically. I am confident that you will get to the place where you feel comfortable with your schedule and how you are serving your students.

    Teaching is just like parenting (where I know you have experience) . . . you constantly question your strategies and whether or not they are best for your students . . . you evaluate daily who is "getting it" and who needs something different . . . you never feel like you've arrived. So, don't feel frustrated! You are doing great and growing by leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to find the time, but you are already looking critically at some structures that might not be the most effective uses of instructional time (like whole-group grammar and basal lessons)!

    ReplyDelete