Monday, November 30, 2015

Alexis Howlett Blog Post #4: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

I chose to read and discuss Routman's Chapter 5:  Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library because I agree that all classroom's should have a classroom library, but as a teacher new to the Gifted & Talented program I am struggling how to best set this up in my room.  I completely agree with Routman's statement that "Books contribute more strongly to reading achievement than any computer software does."  I despise AR and STAR for this reason.  There is so much emphasis placed on how much or well a student does on their STAR test that I find a lot of my students are focused on how many points they are getting rather than expanding their reading skills.  Hence, the need for a strong classroom library.  As Routman, points out that access to a classroom helps struggling readers so that they can see how to "light read" or as I like to say for fun.  I also believe this statement can help even GT students gain exposure to titles they might never have considered.

Her suggestions for how to equip your library from using programs like Scholastic points, approaching PTO for funds, and used book stores is essential for us to expand our libraries.  I also agree with her approach to involving students to help design and organize the classroom library.  How cool would it be to have access to a library that actually interested our students and what pride they must have because they helped create it.  I believe a strong, diverse classroom library can open the eyes of a person to a world they only dreamed of seeing.  How awesome is this insight for all levels of readers.

1 comment:

  1. I can see how creating a classroom library in a G/T classroom would be a difficult task. I came from a regular 4th grade classroom before becoming a G/T teacher, so I just brought my books with me. However, I did have many students borrow books from my room. I also worked on building sections of books that went along with our units - a basket of books about kites, airplanes, bridges, etc. Students were actually very interested in these book baskets. As we studied a subject, they would become more and more interested in the subject and would go to these baskets and borrow books to further their studies. Maybe this is something you could try.

    Also, I agree with the emphasis on point instead of becoming a good reader for intrinsic reasons. Unfortunately, we evaluate ourselves as a school and a district based on scores. I see both sides. We DO need some way of evaluating where we are, but many times I agree that it can give students the wrong idea. I am afraid we are not growing life-long readers but students who equate reading with a test. This makes me sad, too. Maybe one day it will change.

    ReplyDelete