Friday, November 6, 2015

Kelli Wolfe Blog Post #4 – Growing Independent Learners by Self Evaluation & Reflection


Many of us chose this profession to make a difference.  Chapter 4 of Routman’s Reading Essentials was a good reminder that we have very little time in a day to do just that.  Everything we plan for our students during the day should move them closer to independence as a learner – guided reading/writing, shared reading/writing, independent reading/writing, etc. By DAILY evaluating and reflecting on our procedures & time management, the complexity and relevance of our curriculum, the way we did or didn’t challenge our students, the amount of thinking we have done, etc., we can create supportive classrooms that grow self-reliant students.  Without this, it is easy to get stuck in a complacent place of going through the motions, doing what we have always done – whether it was best practice or not.  This is not what we were called to!  
 
I especially appreciate the questions on p. 47.  We should ask ourselves these questions regularly!  I just had a conversation with a teacher who said, “We just finished learning to write paragraphs and it was instruction and practice that will benefit the students forever.  I am not sure the lessons we are doing with the basal right now will.  I am going to start doing something different next week and I may need your help.”  Woohoo!  She’s asking the questions!  And, as a coach, I want to be asking myself the same kinds of questions!  How am I spending my day?  Does what I do every day benefit the teachers and the students at WHES.  I want to make a difference!  It is what I am called to.  Reflecting and Evaluating can only make us better!

1 comment:

  1. I love that Routman validates thinking/reflection time as planning time. It is so true! Our "wheels" never stop turning--it's what makes our profession both exhausting and exhilarating. And I totally agree with you about the need to reflect on how we spend time as coaches--I feel that sometimes I start a thousand projects and finish none, and it is a very frustrating feeling. If you find a solution, come bail me out fast!! :-)

    ReplyDelete