Monday, November 9, 2015

Carly Painter Blog Post #4 Teach With A Sense of Urgency

  In this chapter, Routman states, "We need to  support students in becoming more self-sustaining, thoughtful, independent readers and writers."  How true this is, but hard at the same time, especially with first graders!  It is often hard for me to "let go" and allow my students to try a task on their own.  I know that this is best for them, and most of the time, when I do "let go," they excel.  I have to remember that I've provided the tools for them to use and now they get to try it!  The optimal learning model Routman suggests seems to be a great tool for student success.  I also like what she says about interactive reading.  Often, time is too short, comments are too many, and I just don't stop during a read aloud for discussion.  But this is when you see all of those connections (text-self, text-world, text-text) that students make.  This is the time to point those out and help my young learners see the connections when they don't realize that this is what they are doing.  Although titled, Teach With a Sense of Urgency, this chapter taught me that I need to slow down and take time to listen to my students and let go and let them try on their own more.

2 comments:

  1. I agree - sometimes it is so hard to let go and allow students to be in control of their own learning. I told you how I especially struggle with that as a parent. As a nurturer, I want to do it for them, help them . . . and take care of it for them. :/ In the big picture, this is no help to them. Student independence is what we want and the direction we need to go if we want them to grow wings.

    I am thinking . . . maybe you could incorporate interactive reading into your Guided Reading groups. In a small group setting, allowing students to share their thinking is a little easier. Or, if you are in a whole group setting, you could use "turn and talk" as a teaching strategy that encourages engagement and interactive reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Routman redefined "urgency" for me--yes, sometimes we can find urgency in slowing down! :-)

    ReplyDelete