Monday, November 2, 2015

Caroline Josey- Post 3 Routman Chapter 1

“We need to go back to the basics of what really matters in teaching and learning” (Routman pg.7)

I constantly ask myself what is “right” or the “best” way to do something. There are so many ways to teach and to make it enjoyable for the kids as well as the teachers. I have realized that I have to figure out what is “best” or “right” for my students. There is so much scientific research on best practices that it is overwhelming and really just ends up confusing me. Routman says, “Teacher need to gain back the confidence to trust their own professional knowledge.” (Routman pg.9) I am always reading articles and doing research to find best practices and interesting information but that does not mean a “best practice” is going to work in my classroom with my students. 

2 comments:

  1. You're right, Caroline. Just because something is considered "best practice" doesn't mean it will work in every classroom. You have to use professional judgement to decide what is best for your students. Although research on best practice can overwhelm and confuse, don't dismiss it as a whole. Embrace what you do understand and commit to trying it or considering how you could apply it. Then, look for something new to challenge you - always - no matter how many years you have taught. This will not only make you a fabulous teacher, but it will also grow you professionally and personally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As teachers, we need to trust ourselves as professionals! Ironically, research is not the unbiased "gold standard" we often think it is. We can prove just about anything we feel like proving, so you're right--find what works for you and your students!

    ReplyDelete