Monday, November 30, 2015

Margaret Tiller: Blog # 4: Chapter 4: Routman “Teach With A Sense of Urgency” Reading Essentials



 

For my fourth blog post, I decided to analyze chapter 4 in Routman’s Reading Essentials: “Teach With a Sense of Urgency.” To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about how Routman would support the need to teach with “urgency, “however, I discovered that the author equates urgency with PURPOSE rather that equating urgency with pressure. I agree with the author’s sentiments about making every minute count. So often in this profession, we feel the need to cram each minute, even each second, with as much academic fact as possible. However, I think it’s important to recognize that teaching with urgency does not necessarily mean teaching as much academic information as possible; teaching positive social skills could also fall under the umbrella of teaching “urgently.” I came to this realization after Routman stated that “I teach each day with a sense of urgency [specifically], […] I am aware of the students in front of me” (Routman 41). Sometimes teaching urgently can mean simply taking the time to make sure that the student and I are “on the same page” in terms of goals, strengths, and needs. My personal teaching philosophy is that given the right tools and support, all students, regardless of academic level, can become self-motivated and driven learners. For this reason I was thrilled that Routman mentioned: “The learners are proud of their ability, aware of their progress, and involved in setting new learning goals for themselves. Their reward for their successful learning is intrinsic, personal pride and pleasure in their accomplishments” (Routman 47). It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day hustle and bustle of testing, etc.; however, it is so important that we, as teachers, remind ourselves of the ultimate goal for our students: is it to cram as much information into their heads as possible, or is it to inspire them to become free thinkers? In my opinion, it is of utmost importance to keep our ultimate goal in mind so that we may continually “teach with a sense of urgency.”

2 comments:

  1. I love your fresh, positive outlook, Margaret! It IS important to continually keep our goals in mind so that we DO teach with a sense of urgency. However, it is so easy to become distracted by all the "stuff" that goes along with teaching and we can easily become disillusioned. I have seen many teachers through the years allow the "stuff" to discourage them, and as a result they lost sight of the goals and the urgency. If you can continue to focus on the goals and decide now to constantly reflect on what is important and what isn't, you will be okay. You will be able to spend your time and energy on your goals and on making a difference and not on complaining and feeling frustrated. Keep focusing on what matters, Margaret! Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Routman reframes "urgency" from a sense of pressure to a sense of purpose!! When we teach with a sense of urgency, we create an environment in which all students can learn and meet their personalized learning goals.

    ReplyDelete