Thursday, November 5, 2015

But That: An Instructional Framework for Supporting Classroom Independent Reading

I actually laughed out loud on this one...the questions on my reading life on page 49. Honestly, I have never thought about would i do any of the things that I ask children to do in regards to a book they are reading. You know why we do it? Assessment! We have to show that there is some sort of assessment for what we're asking student to do. What if we didn't fill in that portion on our weekly lesson plans? We would get fussed at!
I think the biggest thing that I need to focus on for the students is to choose a book that they will enjoy reading (and will help them become better readers without even knowing it!) I like the guideline for students to ask when choosing a book:

  • Am I interested in this book? 
  • Can I read it? 
  • Does it give me something to think and talk about? 
  • Will it help me practice what I'm/we're learning how to do? 
I think we should make a poster and post these questions in every classroom! They are very practical, especially for the older kids who can reflect on what the questions are asking.

I do realize more than ever before that for all we expect our students to do, we need to model how and what to do; explain what the desired outcome is that we want achieved. This book gives very practical advice and instruction for talk and turn, modeling conversation and thinking moves, and utilizing our school and local library to help us create better, stronger readers.The guided questions on page 63 give a good place to start with reflection for students. Perhaps knowing that they will be asked to reflect on what they read will also help them focus and read more for a purpose to understand. 


1 comment:

  1. I thought the questions on p. 49 were good, too. It's true! I don't usually make a poster about what I'm reading, and you're right . . . we do it for grades. I don't always think it's a waste of time - students enjoy it, it gives them an opportunity to think collaboratively, it also gives us something tangible to hang in the hall. :) But, if we think that is going to make a student a better reader, we are wrong. And, because we have very little time to make a difference, we should use it wisely.

    I love your idea! YES! We should put those questions on a poster and hang it up! Good way for students to know whether or not a book is a good fit for them. I really believe we can make a difference if we approach reading a little more reflectively.

    ReplyDelete