Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Detra Stevens #4 Chapter 6 and 6 Plan for and Monitor IR, Make Assessment Instruction's Working Partner

I am currently working on how to improve independent reading in my classroom.  This chapter begins by pointing out why children need to read more.  In the chapter it states that any reading program that substantially increases the amount of reading students do will impact their reading achievement.  Not only should children spend more time reading, but they should be reading more on their level.  The chapter states that students should choose “just-right” books to read.  I think I have done a great job choosing books that are on their level.  I have a container for each child with books on “their” level. The children love to get “their” container and read the books they chose.  They really get into reading and want to read every chance they get.

I still feel that I need to be with each individual child during independent reading. I want to be able to help when I see the help is needed for all children.  


Something I need to work on is assessing.  This is not apart of my daily routine.  I need to work on using the assessments to drive my instruction.  The chapter states that implementing this will improve instruction and learning.  I would like to try conferencing with my students on a daily basis.  I feel like I can use the strategies mentioned to begin a successful conference time with my students. It’s all about finding the time and finding what works and what does not work when I am conferencing.  

2 comments:

  1. I am sure in K5 it takes a little extra time to teach students what IR looks like. However, the benefits are great - as I know you know. It was so fun to be in your room the other day and watch the progress that students are already making. And, in truth, the more opportunities they have to read, the better readers they become.

    Remember, you do not have to conference with every student every day. You will probably only have time to meet with 5 or 6. I found that this one-on-one time told me much more about my students than anything else I did with them during the week. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and see their progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a lot of thinking about the best ways to implement IR in your classroom! Assessment is tricky. I tried a whole bunch of things in K to keep records during conferences--Evernote anecdotal notes, printed forms, Google forms--and so forth! It would be interesting to let the kids pick their own "just right books" to see how independent they are in this process by now! :-)

    ReplyDelete