Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Teach With a Sense of Urgency

     Good chapter!  Shares teaching smarter not harder.  Regular evaluation and reflection and then wise teaching decisions are key in a successful classroom.  The top 5 things to do to ensure students become excellent readers are right on target.  ...demonstrate I am a reader, provide an excellent classroom library, let students choose books and give them time to read, teach strategies that help students process and understand text, and evaluate student regularly, giving them feedback and helping them set goals.  I think I will make small posters of this for teachers to hang in their rooms near their desk when planning.  I would want this nearby as a good reminder.  We know a safe environment where there are relationships and risk-taking accepted works best. The Learning Model would work great in any classroom.  One of the most interesting comments in the article is: "Students who remain dependent on a teacher or program for all their feedback are limited with how much they can learn."  Students need to transition to independent learning with their own passion for reading.  The teacher works as the facilitator. 
     As an administrator, I need to support those who are using the Learning Model or Balanced Literacy and helping those who are not to see the wonderful possibilities this provides.  I would so be using this as a teacher.  I have seen far more teachers stepping out to try these approaches this year...good!  I attend PLCs and class with them...they need to see me as a partner.  Next step is to work in a center in a few classrooms.  I wish I could have large blocks of uninterrupted time to be an instructional leader...unfortunately I have to run a school also..lol

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Pridgen, I love and appreciate that you are participating in the PLCs and learning along side us. This speaks volumes to us! It shows us that you are interested and support literacy and want to learn all you can so you can support your teachers and students. That doesn't happen everywhere. Thank you!

    The quote you liked best was one of my favorite, too. On the news last night, I heard a teacher say, "It's like the kids are teaching themselves and I am just guiding them." That is the definition of a Balanced Literacy classroom, and through the Inquiry Standards, it is the direction we are all headed. What an incredible idea! It gives students wings and power. Hopefully this method of teaching will better prepare students for continued higher education . . . and life in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea for the "reminder" posters! Thank you for supporting teachers as they try new strategies this year--just like our students need safe environments to take risks, so do educators. :-)

    ReplyDelete