Sunday, November 29, 2015

Heather McCraw: Blog #4: Routman Chapter 3: Share Your Reading Life

I really enjoyed reading this chapter...unusual since I have no reading life of my own! As I was reading the chapter, I had a lot of "aha" moments about what good readers do. Because I've never considered myself a good reader, I have never known or used these strategies on my own. The thing that struck me the most is how the author always knew what she would read next. Our students should know what they want to read next! Too often, students wander aimlessly in the library looking for a book on their level with an interesting cover, or picking up a book because of the number of AR points it offers, or perhaps even just making a completely random selection. If students had a list for what they want to read next, library selections would be a breeze! Students wouldn't have to be made to read; they might actually WANT to!

It was also interesting to see what Routman thinks of reading logs. At our last PLC meeting, reading logs came up. Each teacher was sharing their own opinions about reading logs. Some stated they saw no value in reading logs. These folks felt like reading logs were merely a paper parents signed to verify that some amount of home reading was done - whether it actually was or not. Another piped up and said, "Reading logs have lots of purpose." As she proceeded to tell how you can see if students are reading too many pages in a short amount of time. You can visibly see a record of types of books students are reading and encourage students to try different things. You can see if students need to develop stamina while reading, etc. I sat without any input just thinking about my own opinions of reading logs. When I taught everything, I did have my students keep reading logs only as a way of showing reading homework. It was pretty pointless. Routman suggests that reading logs are appropriate and necessary but do not need parent signatures as then they simply become something else to check off. She values reading logs as they are her history as a reader, and she prides herself on that.

I do believe that if teachers shared their reading lives with students, more students would learn to love reading. As the math and science teacher, I believe I possess the ability to teach students to enjoy these subjects - at least to some degree. I never felt that I possessed the ability to teach students to learn to love reading. After reading this chapter, I do believe it is possible. Students can learn to love reading as well as they can learn to love any subject. If we share our reading lives with kids, that's all it would take.

2 comments:

  1. Reading Logs are a touchy subject - some say yes, and some say no. I believe that it depends on what you use them for. If you are using them as a homework grade - not so much. If you are using them to gather information about your student as a reader, then yes, they are valuable. My students always kept a lot and I appreciated being able to look back and see what kinds of books they were reading . . . how long they would read at one time . . . if they were reading at home AND at school, etc. etc. However, it is always good to reflect on what you are doing in the classroom and ask yourself whether or not it is valuable and is used to grow a child academically. If so, then keep it. If not, then get rid of it.

    On another note, you're right. It is amazing how much power we have as teachers. If we could remember that at every moment of every day (instead of getting distracted by all that goes along with teaching) we would probably choose our words and actions more carefully. Just today I watched a teacher get a whole group of students so excited about the idea of choosing their books and thinking about WHY they chose that book. It was fun to see those children come alive as they were talking with her. We've got the power! :) We should use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you got a lot out of this chapter! First and foremost, I wanted to validate that you DO have a reading life. We read in all kinds of ways. It took me a while to validate that a big part of my reading life is unwinding after a long day by reading my Facebook and Twitter newsfeeds. Even though it is not "book reading," it is still reading! I wonder what reading identity you will find for yourself if you look outside the covers of a book. :-)

    ReplyDelete