Monday, August 31, 2015

Julie Brown's August Blog Post 1: Making Time for What's Important

     I continued to go back to a sports analogy as I read Chapter 1 from Miller's book.  We are all familiar with the concept of practice makes perfect.  When children first begin to play a sport, coaches don't just send them out on a field/court and say, "Go play ball."  No, they spend countless hours teaching the fundamentals of the game and how to play different positions.  Of course, they do practice a lot, but not without the individualized instruction that goes along with the position.
     We as teachers can't just have kids practice reading.  They need to be instructed in the strategies of reading.  This is continuous.  Even professional teams have coaches because there are still things to learn and better ways to attack certain situations.  Therefore, to think that after the first few fundamental years of reading instruction that our job as teachers of reading is over and students just need to practice is misguided.  I, for one, was guilty of this for many years as a middle school language arts teacher.  Then I realized, just making students read isn't making them read better.  I had to look at my job differently.  Just as we have all come to realize; we are all reading teachers.
      Miller also brings up the concept of time.  I know schedules are busy and hectic and trying to fit another thing into the day seems impossible.  However, I believe Miller is right.  We have to prioritize things and find time in the day when we are doing things that may be redundant, unnecessary, or routine.  When looking at what a child needs to succeed in this school and beyond, I think we all would agree that reading is foremost on that list.  So much else cannot be accomplished without the ability to read.
       If we all jump in together and see this as a team effort, we may realize we have more time than we thought. 

4 comments:

  1. A few years ago, Dr. Cox encouraged us to record what we were doing in our classroom every minute for a whole week. Whoah! It was kind of like recording what you eat all week - - AN EYE OPENER! We waste so much time that we don't mean to waste . . . or realize that we are wasting. That exercise was so good for me and helped me to really reevaluate how we spent time in room 4-6. After making a few changes, I realized that I really DID have time. I just had to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your sports analogy. :) I agree with your point that once students reach a certain age, we assume that they can read and just turn them loose. Sometimes, I think as they get older...they need us more. How do you tackle various texts that you will encounter in High School / College? Those are skills every high school student needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you both. Julie you said the magic word- PRIORITIZE! We have to prioritize! That's my biggest problem as a teacher. I need to let go of somethings that are just routine practices in the classroom that are really not that important.
    Kelly I agree with you too! I really do have time. Making time is the problem I face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right, I am reminded quite frequently that time is a four-letter word, my least favorite. To use your analogy idea, I myself never have time to exercise, but always have time to eat. Amazing. Explicit teaching and bringing to the forefront of what a good student or a good reader does to raise awareness with our students is time well spent.

    ReplyDelete