Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Kelli Wolfe Blog #2: It Really DOES Work!



Section II of Miller’s No More Independent Reading Without Support really challenges teacher to examine common, ineffective classroom practices and replace them with practices that are supported by research and professional wisdom.  She points out what practices grow an independent reader and how that affects academic performance overall.  I can honestly say that I have taught both ways . . . and in my experience, the research held true.  

When I was a classroom teacher, I used a “modified for 4th grade” version of Gail Boushey and Joan Moser’s Daily 5 Model.  I used it for 3 years before leaving the regular classroom, and I have to say that I saw a huge difference in my students as readers when I switched over to it from using the basal stories and traditional assessments.  Teachers often complain that they don’t have enough time; however, when I used this model in the classroom, I really had MORE time.  For the first time, students were EXCITED about ELA!  They would ask me every day when we were going to start the Daily 5 rotations.  They LOVED having choice and time to read.  They even loved to conference with me, and it didn’t just keep them accountable . . . it kept me accountable.  For the first time, I really understood each of my students as readers and was able to form small groups based on individual needs, etc.  Before I began to conference with students regularly, I knew who the good readers were and the bad readers were, but I didn’t know why.  I couldn’t identify specific weaknesses, and therefore didn’t really know how to help. By using a Balanced Literacy model, I grew as a teacher and my students grew as readers . . . their scores were evidence.

One area that I did not devote a lot of time to was giving students opportunities to share what they were reading.  They would share with me while we were conferencing, or would sometimes share informally with friends.  However, I wish I had formally created a way for students to have some book talk!  I know I enjoy talking to other people about what I am reading and always get ideas about what to read next by asking friends, etc. 

2 comments:

  1. Kelli, I would love to create student book talk groups, either as a digital project or just a "stand and talk" book talk. Students do love knowing what their peers are reading and will often take their friends recommendations over teachers, parents, or marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a win-win--extra time and excitement about reading!

    ReplyDelete