Monday, September 7, 2015

"I Got No Time"--Anne Maddox Blog #1


Back in the early 70’s there was a popular song, “I Got No Time” by the Guess Who.  The lyrics depicted all the wonderful, important things we were missing out on.  I will be the first to say that there isn’t enough time in the day, for exercise, bible study, good healthy food choices, spending time with loved ones, and other things.  However, I do find the time for the most important things I deem necessary.  After reading this article I do see that I must make adjustments in my priorities to help progress my students who lack reading confidence, skills, and lowered test scores.

               Most appealing to me was Miller’s statement about just reading to read, with no checkpoints for teachers to know what’s going on inside their head.  I also connected with the part where she mentions  that teachers are helping to create habits where students just think being a poor reader  is part of who they are…..a struggling reader, and that some people just aren’t cut out to be readers, and they are one of “them”.

As a Reading teacher every year during Registration I have to ask students what their favorite subject is, and most times it is NOT reading.  I now see the value of independent reading with monitoring and feedback as a necessary part of my reading instruction, especially for the struggling reader.  We have to help by monitoring progress and giving feedback for them to get beyond their innermost fears of being that failed reader.

              

2 comments:

  1. I love that song! AND, I love what you said about students not choosing Reading as their favorite subject. I would agree! I very seldom get that answer when I ask a student what they love most. It breaks my heart . . . because they are missing out! I hope we see some changes in that area this year as we begin to lead kids to Book Love through Independent Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a grade level where the students go from saying "I can't read" to actually being able to read, it is so hard to see that excitement and joy fizzle as they get older. Granted, not all of them are excited, but so many are when they realize that they CAN do it!

    ReplyDelete