Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Carly Painter Blog #2- Why Not? What Works?

In Section 2, Why Independent Reading Matters and the Best Practice to Support It, Miller shares many examples of reports and research that show that Independent Reading truly does work (when practiced appropriately).  Miller reiterates that students need time and choice during Independent Reading time and the teacher is no longer just a reader to model.

I feel like my IR time made huge improvements after I implemented parts of The Daily Five, specifically, the silent reading time.  I begin with a lesson on choosing just right books the same way that you would pick just right shoes (for soccer, for church, etc).  I've found that younger children can really relate to choosing shoes and associating that with choosing their books to go in their individual bag.  I have had a leveled library for my students to "shop" for books from but am trying to also encourage (maybe I should say allow) them to also pick from some genre specific baskets where the books may or may not be on their specific level.  In the past I've found it hard to let go and let them choose books that are way too easy or way too challenging but I see how much more they enjoy reading time by having that ownership of choosing their own books.

I have also learned so much about my students by having short 4-5 minutes conferences with them during IR time.  I can see what genre each gravitates toward, I see if the specific level is working for the child, and many conferences turn into great conversation.

While I have found some things that are working for IR, there are still many areas to grow.  .  I see that there are a number of mini lessons that can be taught during the beginning of IR time.  I also need to allow time for students to share after their reading time, whether with a partner or the whole class.

IR time is a great tool for improving reading.  It is going to take time and effort from me but the rewards will be worth it for my students in the end!

3 comments:

  1. Carly, I didn't realize that you do Daily 5 in your classroom. Daily 5 is one of my favorite Balanced Literacy models!!

    You are right . . . exposing students to different genres is so important. Giving them some sort of checklist so they can assure they have "tried" something different than they normally read is a great way to keep them accountable. "You never know until you try it!" holds true when it comes to different genres. It is easy for all of us to get stuck reading the same types of books over and over. Teaching students to challenge themselves is sometimes very difficult. I commend you for wanting to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly, I love that you are allowing your students more freedom to choose their own books though some choices may or may not be on their specific levels. In order to explore multiple genres, it is necessary to allow choice outside of reading level as many poetry books or other nonfiction will not necessarily fall within students "levels", but are highly appealing reading materials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your approach to structured choice! Your kids love their special bags of books!!

    ReplyDelete