Sunday, February 28, 2016

Heather McCraw: Blog Post #6: Routman Chapter 5 Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

I read the chapter on classroom libraries; how enlightening it was!! When I first started teaching 11 years ago, I never pushed independent reading the way we do today.  I had students keep a reading log for homework each week documenting a set number of weekly minutes spent on at-home reading. I also tried to have a daily drop everything and read time, but this was never a huge success. Independent reading sadly felt like somewhat a waste of my instructional time. L I really didn’t know what I was doing when it came to independent reading.

When our classroom libraries recently got enhanced by district allocated funds, I sorted my books into categories and levels. Now after reading this chapter, conviction sets in. I must have it all wrong!!! Last year as I was talking to Melissa Wells about my classroom library, I told her I don’t really like for students to use it. She held her face together in a neutral pose although I’m sure her insides were screaming, “YOU DON’T LIKE STUDENTS TO USE YOUR LIBRARY?!?” My response, “They mess it up.” I had spent my time sorting all the books into exactly the right spots where I wanted them to be and apparently the students didn’t understand this categorization. Routman’s suggestion: let students help you decide how to sort books, and have a “book caring” policy so students know how to take care of the library. Melissa, if you’re reading this, I DO let students use my library now! Thank you for labeling my books so I could release some of that control I had about the classroom library!

Another moment of conviction for me was in reading about forcing kids into levels. We are very strict about keeping kids in their ZPD so they’re growing the most as readers. But according to Routman, this is not really what makes kids grow as readers. Reading books develops comprehension; emphasis on levels probably turns many kids off to reading. Conferences between students and teachers can lead to selecting more appropriate books. Interesting!


Last thing that spoke to me was about having book recommendations so that kids get interested in what to read next. I used to love watching “Reading Rainbow” to see what cool books were recommended each week. Unfortunately I rarely went to the library to check out these recommended titles, however, if my teacher would have had them on hand in her classroom library with the title facing out, those recommended books would have likely been my next selection!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I love your thoughts and your truth! I was in a classroom this week and the teacher took me to her closet to grab something. She had HUNDREDS of books in her closet that she didn't want her kids to use because they would mess them up!!! I think, as teachers, we are very often type A and like things to be just so. However, kids ARE messy and even with an organized library . . . books will probably get mixed up and messed up. That's when it's a good idea to pull in that Type A student who can straighten everything up again for you. :)

    I love the book share idea, too. I very often use Goodreads.com to decide what book I want to read next. We value the opinions of others . . . why wouldn't students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA!! Of course I am reading this, and I am so glad you feel comfortable letting the kids use your library now! :-)

    ReplyDelete