Friday, February 12, 2016

Kelly Schachner Blog #7: Routman Chapter 7

How I wish that I would have read this chapter sooner! I already use informal reading conferences to monitor and guide my readers, but after reading this chapter I have a new perspective for how to approach these and the types of questions to be asking. This chapter, and the presentation that Kelli Wolfe shared with me about conferencing, have provided me with the tools I need to have successful conferences. The probing questions for understanding (Fiction and Nonfiction) will help me with discussions during conferences. My problem is that I am not good enough yet at this skill. I ask some questions, but at times I am finding myself asking the same questions to the same students. Varying the conferences according to their strengths and weaknesses will help me and them to gain a clearer understanding of where each student is with their comprehension. Goal setting needs to be done at each conference to hold students and myself accountable for accomplishing the next skill. I think having them keep their current goal on a sticky note and in their book (as a bookmark) will help them to remember what strategy they are using and to continuously apply it.

I love the phrase "Teach/Learn Intentionally". I think I need a poster of this on my wall as a reminder of the talking and explaining that is required to teach students how to be better readers. Below the words "Teach/Learn Intentionally", I would list various topics like: "Reread when something doesn't make sense.", "Think about what you are reading and what is happening.", "Think about why characters act and behave the way they do.", "Make connections to your life and what you already know to help you understand the story.", Read in your mind. Don't move your lips.", and "Make a picture in your mind to help you understand.", etc. This would keep both the students and myself focused on our immediate goals. I would list those skills on a reading rubric and use that as yet another evaluation tool.

Asking myself important questions about what and how I teach, and examining those answers carefully, will lead me to the next phase of learning and improving my teaching.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great Anchor Chart ready to flesh out in your classroom! Great idea! I find that anytime we try something new, it takes a while to perfect it. Teaching is truly an art, and art evolves. You do a great job and your students are lucky to have a teacher who cares so much about their learning and growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I'm so glad you're finding conferencing to be so helpful as you help grow young readers!

    ReplyDelete