Sunday, February 28, 2016

Elizabeth Graham Post 6: Routman's Chapter 6 & 7

As I read Chapters 6 and 7 in Routman's Reading Essentials, I was struck by the concept of "just right" books. As a teacher librarian I am all in favor of student choice for independent reading, but I recognize the reality that many students need help identifying what a "just-right" book is. This is something we talk about during our library classes. For example, our third grade students are reading chapter books and many of them take pride in walking around with the largest chapter book they can find on the shelves. Harry Potter #7 anyone? If the student is ready for this reading challenge, I am all for it. However, if they are not ready and are just imitating the look of a reader, they are wasting their time and giving us never opened books to reshelve. I have worked with our third graders to identify some accessible, high-interest book series, compared text sizes, discussed how some series and books have pictures and cartoons while others are text-heavy, all with the goal of making the students self-sufficient book selectors.

As far as making assessments part of reading, I like the idea of "teaching intentionally". Many times when I am reading a book to a class, I will let them know that at the end of the story I will be asking them a question and that they should pay attention and prepare their answer. For example, with the book, Churchill's Tale of Tails, Churchill the pig has lost his tail and tries on other animal tails to see how he likes them. The question for my students was, "If you could have an animal tail, what kind would you pick and why?" At the end of the story, students shared their choice. This kind of question or prompt helps students pay more attention to the details of the story. It also serves as a mini-assessment and lets me know if students followed the plot line and can make connections and meaning from what they heard.

2 comments:

  1. Good words, Elizabeth. I love to watch you in action and love the idea of the "comprehension ball" you use when you read aloud to students. It is a great way to help students THINK while they read and find something that is meaningful to them from the story. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, teaching students how to pick their own best-fit books is a great practice for raising sustainable readers!

    ReplyDelete