Friday, February 12, 2016

Maggie Delaney Jan/Feb Blog 6

In Routmans book, Reading Essentials, Chapter 6 is all about Independent Reading...yay!!!  Students need to do more reading...bottom line!  Interestingly, when an independent reading component is added, test scores go up.  The evidence is clear, students need to spend much of their time actually reading!  However, this chapter does a great job helping us teachers understand that not all students will automatically improve their reading just because we give them time to read.  We, as teachers, have to make sure their books are not too difficult, that they are understanding what they are reading, and we have to provide progress monitoring.

I liked how Routman showed the difference between Independent Reading and Sustained Silent Reading in a chart form.

One aspect of Independent Reading that Routman focuses on is Partner Reading.  This is hard for me to instill in my classroom due to the high level of socialization among my students.  This is definitely an area that I tend to "cut out" because of all the fake reading that can come along with it.  However, I now see the importance of it and will definitely implement some of the guidelines listed into my Independent Reading time.

And lastly, I really connected with the part about book choice.  "Don't underestimate the importance of choice."  Choice has to be real and when it is, it can be so powerful in turning students onto reading.  I found it interesting that in the study of middle school students, the students preferred independent reading and teacher read-alouds above most other activities.  Middle school students and read-alouds??!!  Wow!!  That just goes to show how powerful good reading (and the right reading and set up) can be!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Shared reading in middle school! I wonder if that classroom has a BIG RUG, too! :) We saw evidence of shared reading in an upper level classroom, didn't we? So much value in the time spent reading and thinking together. I am sad that so many teachers give that up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great points in this post, Maggie! Time spent in text is important, but the instructional support accompanying this time is vital. Like you, partner reading could be scary for me--but when I see it done well, it is so fun to watch kids engage in reading together!

    ReplyDelete