Friday, February 5, 2016

Jennifer Novak Jan/Feb Blog Chapter 6

In Chapter 6 of Reading Essentials¸ the author explains the importance of independent reading time in the classroom.  The chapter explains how student need to do more reading in order to improve their reading fluency and comprehension. Increasing the amount of reading will impact their achievement.   However, the author cautions that just because the student is allotted more time to reading independently, the student may not be comprehending what they are reading. 

          I enjoyed reading the part about struggling readers because I do teach many readers who have IEP in Reading and several that struggle in reading.  It is often hard to implement independent reading because many of my students still need help decoding words.  However, we still do practice independent reading whether it be a self-selected book or our Basal reading textbook.  The author explains that struggling readers need more time to read with lower level books and practice and have the opportunity to read authentic texts.

When the author suggested that there is a problem with computerized reading-incentive programs, I could completely relate.  Though technology is the new way of life, how well does the technology assess the children’s reading? 


          The part of this chapter I will take with me is “Just-Right” Book for Grade 1.  I loved how it only gave 3 bullets.  Those 3 bullets are very easy for a 1st grader to understand.  I will make a poster of this in my reading center for students to see.   

2 comments:

  1. I was recently introduced to fluency cards, and I think they are great for struggling readers to use with a partner. I observed them being used in a classroom and it seemed very effective. Remind me, and I will send you a set of them to try if you would like.

    Looks like you found yourself a great "Just Right Books" mini-lesson and anchor chart to use with your students. Can't wait to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you got a lot out of this chapter! You're right, technology can tell us some things, but can it truly know our students as readers? I hope that "just-right" poster has helped your readers!

    ReplyDelete