Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sharon Doyle Blog #7 - February: Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

     As we complete the coaching template, it seems that one of my challenges is not securing books for my classroom, but to attempt to organize, store and actually make usable the extensive library that 30 years of teaching as a book lover. Literally, 1/4 of my storage room is housing books from all disciplines that vary in level providing a treasure trove of materials as a basis of building integrated lessons for all grade levels.  Many are read alouds I have collected with multiple copies of those that tended to disappear when they were on my classroom shelves.  There are also 3 bookshelves in my room and some of those familiar red buckets scattered throughout the room. As Kelli has agreed to help me take on the project, I am looking to Routman for words of advice.
     I agree with Routman that availability of reading materials definitely impact children't literacy development.  They must have access with ease to books of interest.  I often have students ask me if a book I read aloud in class can be found in the library. They want to reread a book I used in class or examine the pictures more closely, etc.  Also, students do perceive from us that which we consider important and of value to us personally.  When students ask where my books came from and I tell them I purchased them at a book store or online, they perceive that I consider books important in my life.  While we can say this, students do recognize the fact that even their parents spend money on things they perceive to be of value to them.  Also, my books are books for reading, not taking tests and somehow I hope students understand that reading for pleasure is not only a learning experience, but also does not always have to be measured by a test.  My books live in a test-free zone, hopefully sparking interest for reading's sake alone.  I also use my books as a basis for building my music lessons supporting the idea of book talks or purpose for reading helps to develop positive attitudes about reading.
     After reading Chapter 5, I find that perhaps my approach will be to build a book nook in the music room that rotates the books periodically in and out of the area.  While my issue right now is getting the numerous books organized, I have also discovered many additions lately due to the discovery of penny books.  Amazon offers used books that start at .01 cents with a 3.99 shipping.  While the shipping is high, at least the book was essentially free rather than the bookstore prices.
     I am not interested in leveling my books, as I believe when given choice and taught how to select books, students do select what they can read.  Also, I don't feel that I have a right to limit a child's reading to only what is considered their level- this is too limiting and again, my books are for interest and pleasure, not teaching reading explicitly, but supporting reading as a way of life.  Once the organization part is completed, I love the ideas put forth by Routman that includes the "Top Ten List" and the idea of book talks.Initially, I do think I will adopt the book basket idea although the rain gutters and some of the other ideas put forth in the chapter are appealing.
     Another idea that comes to mind is the need for bookmarks.  I have many of these, but plan to make some out of cardstock that allow the students to place their name and page number and house them in the 'current reading' classroom basket.  This will allow more than one student to read the same book while in class and avoid students losing the place of a classmate.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Doyle, I love your heart for reading and giving students opportunities to read (even in music) for pleasure. I am afraid we aren't building life-long readers because we connect so much of what they read to a test. I wish we all the freedom you have to let our students read for pleasure. Looking forward to helping you build a reading nook!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can't wait to hear (and see!) how this library organization project turned out! You show such a passion for helping readers fall in love with reading!

    ReplyDelete