Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Karen James Blog 5 Organize an Outstanding Classroom Library

Wow!  Great ideas in this chapter.  I though I had a really good library before reading this chapter and now I think it is an "OK" library.  I have always had a classroom library and want students to be able to use and checkout from my library.  Over the years my library get smaller and smaller due to students not returning books, but I think at least they have a book at home.


My favorite quote from this chapter was "The better the libraries the better reading achievement." I really never thought of libraries like that.  I love how Julie Brown put in her blog that it would be great if we treated our classrooms like libraries.  I believe I will try that next year.  I started my libraries with primarily books that were clearance and that I deemed worthy literature.  I always have the classics hoping someone will read them.  I organize my library by genre to expose students to more then "realistic fiction".  I probably have over 200 books which was consider a good library but not 1000 which the chapter refers to as an "excellent" library.  I agree with not leveling my library.  I want my library to be a place where students read what they want to read.  Nonfiction has always been a weaker part of my library, but last year I made myself buy more nonfiction than fiction, so that part is growing.  I am so thankful for the books our district gave us to help build classroom libraries.  I have never had any help with purchasing books.  It was like Christmas when they arrived.


I love the part of students creating a top 10.  I thought it would be cool to also have student book reviews posted as well.  I had never thought to let students help organize the library until reading about letting them be a part of the process.  I do have a sofa in my room and students are assigned a day of the week where then can read on the sofa.  Rain Gutters, who knew??  I would like to try that also.  This chapter is full of great ways to improve and really use your classroom library.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you love it when you read something and feel inspired and encouraged? When you get a new idea that you had never thought of before? Me too! Truly, our library is the heartbeat of our classrooms. It not only reflects our own personality as a teacher, but it reflects the importance of literacy in our classroom. I'm so glad you got some practical ideas that you can apply immediately or in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some wonderful ideas here, and I am sure your students are thankful that you put such emphasis on a strong classroom library! :-)

    ReplyDelete