Friday, December 11, 2015

Angelica Guevara December Blog #5 – Implementing Inquiry Standards In Our Content


As I look into the inquiry standards I am using with my students I realize I already do some of this. I really like the purpose of the inquiry standards because it involves the students in a bigger role during the learning process. The students don’t just listen and learn a new concept, the inquiry standards allow the students to analyze their interest by questioning it and helps them to come up with a theory taking the learning process into their own hands. I used the following inquiry standards during reading time (especially shared reading time).  

Standard 1: Formulate relevant, self-generated questions based on interests and/or needs that can be investigated.
1.1     Translate “wonderings” into questions that lead to group conversations, explorations, and investigations.

Standard 2: Transact with texts to formulate questions, propose explanations, and consider alternative views and multiple perspectives.
2.1 Engage in daily explorations of texts to make connections to personal experiences, other texts, and the environment.

During shared reading time, I always ask my students to predict what is going to happen. They begin to “wonder” and I tell them to answer me with a question so they can investigate the answer as we read. The students then take the opportunity to conference among each other what their theory is and they compare their questions and why they have that question. They get really excited when they are finally able to answer their inquiries whether their prediction was correct or not. They then have the opportunity to communicate to each other on how their hypothesis was correct or incorrect and if they can relate it to their own life experience. My students have limited communication skills so using inquiry based lessons allows me to teach them how to put together their ideas in a thoughtful manner by gathering information based on their interest and process their theories involving new facts that may also have a link to their personal life lessons.

2 comments:

  1. When I think logically about my own life and my own learning, I realize that I stay more engaged in something if I have questions. When I am reading a novel, I have a hard time putting it down if there is suspense and I don't know what is going to happen . . . I have questions about how it will turn out. It is the same where student learning is concerned. If we can facilitate a learning environment that is organized around THEIR questions . . . THEIR thinking . . . they are more likely to stay engaged. When we stand in front of students and feed them information, they are more likely to forget it. That's not what we want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. G, I love, love, love your sentence: "I really like the purpose of the inquiry standards because it involves the students in a bigger role during the learning process." You phrased it beautifully. Inquiry does allow us to engage in the bigger process of learning by asking our own questions and seeking our own information!

    ReplyDelete