Friday, January 15, 2016

Carly Painter Blog # 6: Chapter 5: Routman “Organize and Outstanding Classroom Library”

My classroom library is often a challenge for me.  I organize one way, then add to, take away, and try another way, only to wonder if the final way is truly working (that's where I'm at right now). 

Routman states that, "It is difficult to maintain a strong independent reading program without an excellent classroom library."  I agree and after reading this chapter, I am already questioning my current library.  I do have some baskets with leveled texts along with baskets with different genres.  Students "shop" weekly for 3 new books from both leveled and genre baskets to go in their bag of books.  Routman points out that "some students identify themselves by their level."  After reading this, I think I need to re-visit choosing "just-right" books with my students and give them more freedom in choosing their books.

Although I have a lot of books in varied genres, I know my library can always be better.  I like the idea of displaying some books to help draw attention to them.  I'll continue with my "work in progress" library.

2 comments:

  1. This would be a great "goal" for your coaching cycle. We could work on your classroom library together! 4 hands are better than 2! I'd love to help you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libraries are always a work in progress, I feel! While it might be frustrating to never feel "finished," I think it reflects our work with readers--if we want our library to reflect our unique and ever-changing readers, our libraries can never be "finished" either! :-) Love that you are thinking about helping students find just-right books without depending on a pre-determined level!

    ReplyDelete