Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Lisa Summey: Share Your Reading Life, Last Blog

This article would be great for a beginning teacher who has never been in a classroom before and of course a seasoned teacher who may have never shared her reading life with her class before. When I taught in a regular education classroom, I shared my reading a lot. Although I am not the type of reader I should be, I hoped to promote reading, so that the children in my class would develop a love of reading and learn to read for pleasure not because it was assigned to them. I tried to make reading fun with various projects. In my ESOL classes, this has been more of a challenge, since I have limited time with them. So far, I have shared with my classes what I like to read and have had them share the types of literature they enjoy too. We have discussed individual reading habits, started reading response logs, and a mini book club. Discussing the books has actually been great in meeting the ESOL Speaking standards, it addresses other standards too.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are able to incorporate BOOK LOVE into your limited ESOL time. I can see that it would be a great way to grow vocabulary as well as improve speaking skills!

    ReplyDelete