Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Stacy Crump- Routman Chapter 3 Share Your Reading life

     I liked this chapter as it talks about one's personal love for reading and the impact it can have on students.  Sharing what you are reading and your passion for reading may spark a student's interest.  He or she may want to emulate this quality themselves.  I used to be a reader before my life took over.  :)  This is something that I would like to get back to and not just reserve for summertime.  I feel like I need help in finding good books to read.  I loved Oprah's Book Club.  I read as many of those as I possibly could.  I read books that I would have never selected on my own.  It was nice to have someone guiding me.
     I believe this chapter is basically saying the same thing.  Our children need to be exposed to what books we think they will enjoy.  We need to be knowledgeable in various genres and aware of various titles that may peak their interests.  Our ultimate goal should be to inspire them to not only read but to LOVE to read.  We hope that this quality will continue the rest of their lives.  We need to invite them into our club.

3 comments:

  1. I appreciated Oprah's Book Club, too!!! :) And, now I appreciate Goodreads.com. It also exposes me to books I wouldn't normally read, and I appreciate that. I read my first biography because a teacher encouraged me to - when I wouldn't have made that decision on my own. Now I LOVE to read biographies. Good words from Routman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, we have some good freebies on the Faculty & Staff Book Club Swap in the library office. Feel free to help yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way--I sometimes really struggle to find books that I want to read, and many of them I discover through recommendations (conversations with peers, posts on Facebook, weekly book blurbs in The Skimm, etc.). We definitely need to invite students into our reading club!

    ReplyDelete