Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Elizabeth Graham's Post 5: Routman's Chapter 12 "You Only Have So Much Time"

As I read Chapter 12, "You Only Have So Much Time", several key points jumped out at me. As a newer teacher librarian, I have fallen for the cute/cool Pinterest lessons and centers that take some time to plan and create. Perhaps I should have read this chapter first, as Routman warns, "Continually ask yourself when planning work for students, How is this activity helping my students become more independent as readers, writers, and thinkers? If it's not, set it aside." Ouch, maybe I did spend too much time on the snowman ABC cards...

Another point that resonated was the mantra to "Keep Work Meaningful" AKA help students create authentic work. In the library, I aspire to share and publish the work that students create for the wider world to enjoy. If a student writes a poem on a piece of paper, then shoves it in their backpack never to be seen again, was the poem really written? How about publishing student work on school websites, class blogs, Twitter, or other social media sites? Students should work hard to create products that they are proud of and want to share with the school community, their parents, and the wider world of the internet. To me, that is authentic.

Finally, I love the section instructing us to, "Make Time for Personal and Professional Reading." No matter how busy my day, I almost always try to end the day with a chapter or two. As Dr. Pridgen reminds our students daily "have a book in your bookbag", we have to make sure that we have reading material - magazines, journal articles, eBooks, novels, blog posts - readily accessible.

2 comments:

  1. Good words! And, I think we all get caught up in the fun and cute lessons Pinterest, etc. provides us. (Not all are bad!!!!) However, it is true . . . our time is short and we have to make the most of us. You are a great example of someone who encourages students to be readers in all you do and say. Continue to fight the good fight in word and deed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That question Routman poses is a good one! I think we all fall victim to the "cute" vs. "meaningful" activity, especially in elementary school. You do a beautiful job of making your students' work meaningful and authentic, especially in the contexts of wider audiences!!

    ReplyDelete