Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Heather McCraw: Blog Post #5: Routman Chapter 4: Teach with a Sense of Urgency

Just reading the title of this chapter made me conjure up certain feelings. It seems that to a teacher there is always that "sense of urgency". You have 180 days to get kids from where they are to where they need to be...not always an easy task! During my first few years of teaching, I remember hearing folks complain about how there's no time to teach anything!! Although I always "run out of time" year after year myself, I decided early on to use this race against the clock and calendar as a way to keep focused. I decided way back then that I would just choose to make the most of the time that I do have instead of fussing about the time I don't have. That forced me to put in a lot of extra work outside of school. I spent many weekends early in my career writing the next science or social studies unit. All the while thinking, "What is it that I want kids to walk away with? What do I want them to remember?" I laid the textbook aside and merely began to use it as a resource. Although I still struggle to get through the curriculum, I feel like I make the most of the time I'm given. As Routman suggests when speaking on this sense of urgency, "[...] I'm not talking about  teaching prompted by anxiety but rather about making every moment in the classroom count, about ensuring that our instruction engages students and moves them ahead, about using daily evaluation and reflection to make wise teaching decisions."

Another thing that struck me in the chapter was the section about working toward independence. I feel like that's often a struggle of mine. Sometimes I am guilty of wanting to do too much for my students because it's easier and faster that way. If I want my kids to improve a math concept, I have them practice it. If I want kids to be better readers, they have to practice it. Therefore, if I want kids to be more independent thinkers, I have to give them opportunity to practice it! This is an area I'm continually trying to grow in!

2 comments:

  1. What a positive way to look at it! And, it's obvious that you use your time wisely in your classroom. You don't waste a minute and that is noticed and appreciated!

    I think we are all guilty of not requiring more independence of our students. Like you said, sometimes it's just easier to do it ourselves. (I find I do that with my children and my husband, too. Ha!) However, the truth is, if I DO something, I am more likely to remember it. The same holds true for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good choice to use the time you do have instead of worrying about the time you don't have! You make a good point about independence--to develop it, we have to let go. Sometimes that means our students will struggle just a bit, but sometimes those are the most meaningful learning opportunities!

    ReplyDelete