Saturday, January 16, 2016

Blog Post 5: Angela Jackson's Routman Ch. 5

I wanted to revisit classroom library organization in hopes to get it right this time. I understand the importance of a diverse classroom library. This read made me more aware that I need to make my classroom library a top priority. When and how and I going to do this? I need an entire weekend to reorganize it! Every week, this very notion looms in the back of my mind that I have more books to get sorted and placed on the shelves of my classroom library. Moreover, I agree with the text as it states that it is difficult to maintain a strong independent reading program without and excellent classroom library.

I like the idea of a "Light reading" section for struggling readers, this would give them the ability to participate and not feel intimidated around their peers. One of these sources for boys are the National Geographic books where they have one animal versus another. I have noticed a lot of my struggling readers choosing those types of books during independent reading time.

Another point from this chapter that hit home with me was the fact that it is difficult for students to spend a lot of time reading if they cant easily find interesting materials. I take full responsibility for my classroom library, I just have to make time to get it completely straight and move on.

I am on the way to a better organized classroom library!

2 comments:

  1. :) Let me know if you would like some help, Angela! I'd love to be a hand! (or 2 :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Libraries are ever-evolving and ever-changing! I love your idea of a "Light Reading" section--I think all readers enjoy some light reading in their lives. For me, the light reading is where I rekindle my love of reading and take a break from the world. Good luck on your library organization adventure!

    ReplyDelete