Monday, January 18, 2016

Caroline Josey- Routman chapter 5. December

"It really doesn't matter what kids read as long as they read and enjoy what they're reading. By gently nudging them to better literature - through reading aloud, co-reading, and putting book into their hands - their reading tastes will eventually grow to include more sophisticated materials." (Routman 65)

Routman states that classroom libraries and books improve reading achievement and that we need to expand access to struggling readers. We all know that this is true and we see children s love for reading grow by reading their favorite book in our libraries or borrowing books and taking them home and also falling in love with a series from our libraries. In this chapter Routman gives a lot of helpful ideas for teachers to use in their classrooms so students will know how to use a library and so they will be successful readers. I love when he suggests "light reading" for turning our struggling readers into competent readers. I have three struggling readers in my class and one them I cannot get to finish a book all by herself. Maybe starting her off with something she is totally interested in would help. I also went through the checklist of ways a classroom library would be and I think my library is easily accessible and students can quickly find a book they are interested in.

2 comments:

  1. I would agree that you have a fabulous classroom library! :)

    I love that you are thinking of strategies to help your struggling readers find a way to connect to reading. I agree that finding something she is interested in will help your student want to read more and more and more. It is hard to meet all the needs of all the students EVERY day, but I appreciate that your heart WANTS to know and meet their needs. Keep on keeping on! It WILL pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Access is the first step to finding a book you'll love! "Light reading" is a great invitation for all readers. I know some of my favorite reading is far, far beyond my reading level. If we want to grow readers who enjoy reading, we have to let them do just that--enjoy it! :-)

    ReplyDelete