Monday, March 28, 2016

Angelica Guevara April/May Blog #7 You Only Have So Much Time


Routman Chapter 12

The title of this chapter is You Only Have So Much Time and it touched on so many aspect of the classroom and teaching that I had to repeat the title to myself over and over. “We have the same 24 hours a day we always had, but more keeps getting added-curriculum, standards, mandates, new students, programs, in-service, materials, testing requirements…..” not to mention IEP changes, amendments, and ESOL documentation. I must say, all that paperwork is not mentioned in any educational course at the Universities where we prepare to become educators. Teachers have to be extremely organized and disciplined in order to get all their instructional time and paper work done before dinner time. The only way to survive is to learn to multi-task. This chapter mentions doing two or three tasks while performing; such as observe, monitor, and assess students while reflecting on how to become a better educator all while conferencing with a student! That is easier said than done, but it is almost a requirement now days with all that is expected from us and our students. During my students’ independent reading time I conference with my them and observe their confidence level and their choice of book, I monitor their fluency, and assess how phonetically skilled they are. As I do that, I am thinking Oh, that lesson I just taught on contractions really helped Johnny, or Johnny did not get what I just taught him about contractions, I am going to have to go over it again in a different manner.

“Students will happily engage in work that is connected to their lives and in projects in which they can see value.” “Together we determine needs, interests, purpose, and goals.” I have definitely used this as an advantage to me. My students’ self-advocacy programs allows them to reflect and monitor their individualized goals. I take into account their strengths, needs, and interest and that allows me to modify their lessons. The students know I have high expectations for them and we discuss reachable goals by showing them how to connect their learning to their daily living situations. We definitely Cultivate a Love of Learning in my classroom and I would hope all educators do that. Our days are set depending on our energy level. Routman believes first and foremost, we must do whatever we can to ensure that our students love learning. Our students can read our energy and love for teaching and learning. We are their educational role models. We have to make teaching fun and show them that we are enjoying the act of education. They can tell if a teacher does not want to be in school or doesn’t want to teach something, that is when they lose interest. A day in the classroom will be determined by how positive and exciting the students and teacher are. Both will feed off of each other. Both must be present in order to have a smooth and productive day. I know I have to come in with a positive attitude because I am the adult and the leader of my room. If a student comes in stressed out or angry it is my responsibility to try to help that student change his attitude for himself and the rest of the class. Sometimes that is not achieved but if it is, my job is easier and the rest of the class will have a better chance of being creative.

2 comments:

  1. Angelica, I appreciate that you care so much for your students and want to "cultivate a love of learning" every day with a positive attitude and an attempt to meet them where they are. It is true that we have the same hours every day, but many days it seems impossible to get it all in. I encourage you to just give it all you have! Prioritize your goals and make the most of every minute. Then, give the rest up. If you don't, you will join the ranks of bitter and angry teachers, and we don't need anymore of those! :) Your smile and your attitude are contagious!!! Don't allow circumstances to change that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! You made me laugh with your comments about not being told about all this paperwork in "teacher school" and the need to multitask--so true!

    ReplyDelete