Thursday, March 17, 2016

Painter March-April Blog-Chapter 9-Shared Reading

As I was reading this chapter, one part really stuck out to me: "Recently, however, even in Kindergarten and grade 1, big books and enlarged texts have fallen out of favor as an emphasis on prepackaged programs has dominated reading instruction."  I agree with this and am guilty of this myself.  I know that I do not do shared read alouds as often as I used to in my classroom.  I try to squeeze in so much into the few hours I have causing shared read alouds to be put to the side at times.  As Routman mentions, students get vocabulary, fluency, inferring, and the list goes on, from that time. 

I am also guilty of pulling up a read aloud on you tube instead of taking the time to find the book in the library.  This is just not the same as me reading and stopping to discuss and think as I'M reading with my kids.  This chapter definitely hit home and reminded me of what I need to really go back to and make sure that I make more time for.  Shared reading is so important for the kids that I teach that haven't been read to as much at home. 

2 comments:

  1. It is SO easy to get bogged down by ALL that needs to be done that we forget to make what's most important most important. (I think this is true in every area of life!) And, in truth, read alouds were probably something you enjoyed most when you first started teaching.

    It is true that many students are not read to at home, and as educators, we know the value that comes from it. I am so glad you found something in this chapter that motivated you to go back to the basics . . . what you know to be best for your students! :) That makes it worth the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shared reading was an area I wish I could have grown as a teacher! I also didn't realize that some activities I was doing were shared reading (like reading lyrics from "Frozen" on the PB). You have some new ideas to try in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete