Sunday, March 6, 2016

Rhonda Dickerson- March-April Blog


March-April Blog

Routman- Chapter 8- Teach Comprehension

This chapter nails it!  So many of my students can read with automaticity- they know every single word- yet they cannot tell very much about the story.  They have a difficult time sharing the main idea, giving a concise summary, discussing why the characters behave as they do, and discovering what the author’s purpose is.  I appreciate the “Try It, Apply It” sections in the chapter.  There are some excellent ideas to aim for in the classroom.

I agree 100% with the list of strategies teachers consider most important for helping them understand as they read.  I would have listed reread as my number one strategy.  “Trust what we do as a reader to guide our teaching.”  The research-based strategies do not dominate the list.  Then why do we spend most of our time on these?  Do we follow the research or go with our gut? 

When I conference with students, I encourage them to reread.  This, however, is not their favorite thing to do!  I hear comments like this: “Why should I read it again?  I already read it!”   I need to model this more when I read aloud to them or with them individually during conference time.  I must make this strategy more visible in the classroom.   I should show them that even adults go back and reread to make sense of text.  I am guilty of reading an entire page and then realizing I did not comprehend a single thing. My strategy- go back and read it again.  They have to understand this is okay to do.

The three simple, yet powerful self-monitoring questions on page 125 need to be in every student’s toolbox.  I am constantly telling them to ask themselves if it makes sense.  If it does not, stop and go back.  I love “Does this sound like language?”  as many will just insert a word that begins with the given letter and keep right on reading! I will add this one to my list!  When I meet with a student and he/she is already into the book, I will ask them to summarize or tell me what has happened so far.  This helps me assess if the student comprehends the text.  Many will show me pictures on the pages and jump to their favorite parts, while others like to start back at the beginning.  We are working on summarizing and focusing on the most important details. 

I appreciate that Routman included a section on keeping fluency in perspective.  Let’s don’t just call words- let’s understand what we read as we read fluently.  Just because a student can read an appropriate numbers of words per minute does not mean he/she comprehends the text. 

Perfect practice makes perfect reading.  It is, indeed, important to strategically teach strategies so the students eventually make them an invisible part of their personal reading.

2 comments:

  1. All of the IRI's we did at the beginning of the year really showed us that although students were able to call words fluently, very often comprehension wasn't taking place. We talked about Close Reading at our PLC this week. It is very much like "go back to reread" - teaching students to think critically while they read. Making connections, asking questions, inferring, analyzing author's purpose or the mood of something they read will also help with the comprehension piece. We are a "quick fix" world. Students want to be done quickly and without much thought. It's true! We're going to have to TEACH them to think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts in here! Yes, re-reading is a helpful strategy that I use too as an adult. I think where it falls apart for our young readers is when we mandate that they read a story 3 times before doing any kind of comprehension activities. Then we aren't teaching our kids to re-read for comprehension's sake--it's more for a "check-off-the-list" sake. Like you, I re-read all the time not because I'm told to, but because I didn't understand! I love how you say we should make this process visible for our readers.

    ReplyDelete